Why people use marijuana: Top 10 reasons
Top 10 reasons why people smoke weed
Marijuana is currently at the center of enormous debate and public policy making in the United States. Proponents of marijuana want to legalize the plant for medical purposes (marijuana is legal in many states), but opponents claim that weed is a dangerous, addictive gateway drug that poses significant health threats to users. But why smoke weed in the first place?
We attempt to give voice to the debate by listing reasons why marijuana users use marijuana in the first place. And to ask you what you think about marijuana use: medicine or illicit high?
2. For the effect of THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), the main active chemical in marijuana.
3. To relieve the stress, anxiety, fear, pain or anger related to personal, psychological or family issues.
4. Popular culture endorses marijuana use.
5. Low perception of harm.
6. The opportunity to try marijuana presents itself.
7. Peer, family or role model influence.
8. People use marijuana because they were born with or develop certain personality dimensions, such as unconventionality, which make marijuana use non-taboo.
10. To relax.
Your thoughts on marijuana
Do you think that marijuana is good or bad? Do the social benefits outweigh the costs? Please submit your feedback below. We post all relevant and thoughtful comments.